▪ BUILT RIGHT INTO A VERTICAL cliff face on Italy’s Mount Baldo, the Santuario Madonna della Corona (Sanctuary of the Lady of the Crown) looks as though it is nearly suspended in mid-air.
The church does not actually hang on the sheer face but instead sits on a thin rock shelf that can only be reached by a thin path. Originally the secluded shelf was home to a hermitage where holy men could come for silent reflection, completely removed from the rest of the world. The actual church was built in 1530 and the site became a chapel for anyone wanting to pay pilgrimage and contemplate the nature of God in peace. The main chapel saw a number of changes over the ensuing centuries growing larger and at one point having a larger church built over the existing one.
▪ Click the link in Bio and find out our beautiful Canvas and posters about Italy.
▪ Follow our lovecanaryislands profile
▪ Photo by curly.beard
▪ All rights belong to their respective owners ...